High cholesterol is caused due to eating unhealthy fatty foods and lack of exercise. Learn about the various home remedies for high cholesterol in this article.
Cholesterol is a type of fat that is present in the blood used for building and maintaining the cell membrane, converting sunshine to vitamin D and other important functions. High cholesterol is a result of unhealthy food choices and lack of physical activity in our day to day life. Diet high in saturated fats also leads to high cholesterol.
Risk Factors Leading to High Cholesterol
The following are the various risk factors leading to high cholesterol.
- Excessive drinking
- High blood pressure
- Kidney or liver disease
Higher level of cholesterol found in the blood is known as hypercholesterolemia. This is a serious condition which may even prove to be fatal. It tends to accumulate along the artery walls and increase the risk of developing heart disease.
Normal Cholesterol Level
The normal range of cholesterol is between 200 and 239 mg/dl. But when it increases to 240 or higher mg/dl, it is considered as high cholesterol.
Diagnosis and Test
The test that is done to check the cholesterol levels is called lipoprotein profile. It tests the cholesterol in terms of total cholesterol level where the sum of HDL, LDL and triglycerides are taken into account.
HDL – High Density Lipoprotein carried cholesterol to the liver where it can be broken down and reprocessed. When the amount of HDL is lower, it leads to heart disease.
LDL – Low Density Lipoprotein is considered to be bad. This cholesterol tends to build up along the inner walls of arteries and over time causing narrowing of these blood vessels.
Home Remedies for High Cholesterol
The following are the various natural ways and home remedies for treating high cholesterol levels.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the very useful home remedies for high cholesterol. It helps in lowering the cholesterol and triglycerides levels. It is a wonder ingredient that cures many ailments such as acid reflux, high blood pressure, gout, upper respiratory infections and others.
How to Use?
- Mix one teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water
- Drink this two or three times a day at least for a month
- You can gradually increase the amount of apple cider vinegar to two tablespoons per glass
- You may mix it with fresh orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, or other fruit juices to taste better
Coconut oil is considered to be highly beneficial in increasing HDL or good cholesterol. It contains lauric acid that helps in increasing HDL and improve LDL/HDL ratio. It has medium chain fatty acids that are easily processed by the liver.
How to Use?
- Take at least 4 tablespoons of coconut oil directly by spreading the dosage throughout the day
- You may gradually increase the intake of coconut oil with time
- Add moderate amount of coconut oil to the diet
- Use only extra virgin coconut oil and not the refined and processed ones
Red onions are also one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol. Red onions are good for treating high cholesterol as they help reduce the bad cholesterol and elevate good cholesterol levels. This also lowers the risk of developing heart disease.
How to Use?
- Mix one teaspoon each of onion juice and honey
- Drink it once daily
- Add one finely chopped onion and one-quarter teaspoon of pepper to
- one cup of buttermilk
- Consume it on a regular basis
- Also include onion, ginger, and garlic in your diet
Indian gooseberry or amla acts as a natural hypolipidemic agent which promotes the reduction of lipid concentrations in the serum. According to a study, this fruit has anti-hyperlipidemic, anti-atherogenic and hypolipidemic effects.
How to Use?
- Mix one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder, or dried and powdered Indian gooseberries, in a glass of warm water
- Drink it daily in the morning on an empty stomach
- You may also drink fresh juice extracted from the Indian gooseberries
- You can also take Indian gooseberry supplements but only after consulting the doctor
Coriander seeds help in lowering the levels of cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides. It also has hypoglycemic effects for people suffering from diabetes.
How to Use?
- Use coriander seeds or dry roast and grind them to make the powder
- Add two teaspoons of coriander seed powder to one cup of water
- Boil the mixture and then strain it
- Drink this once or twice a day
- You can add milk, sugar, and cardamom to it
- You may also use it as a replacement for your regular tea
Orange juice is great for reducing high cholesterol levels naturally. It is rich in vitamin C, folate and flavonoids. According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutirition, drinking 750ml of pure orange juice daily can increase HDL cholesterol and triglycerides, and decrease the LDL/HDL ratio in hypercholesterolemic patients. Orange juice fortified with sterols is even more beneficial.
How to Use?
- Drink two glasses of fresh orange juice daily
- Avoid adding sugar or using processed orange juices
- About 3 grams of phytosterols a day can help lower total cholesterol by up to 11% and LDL by up to 15%
- You may drink two glasses of plant sterol-fortified orange juice per day
Apart from the above home remedies, one should opt for a healthy lifestyle and diet. This will eliminate the trans fat from the diet as they increase the LDL or bad cholesterol and decreases the HDL or good cholesterol. Include regular exercise and lots of fruits and nuts in the daily diet. Also eating a diet rich in vitamin C can help in lowering the cholesterol.